Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Christmas Countdown Blitz & Giveaway 2019: Day 7-A Christmas Story of Light By Ora Smith




God’s light shines in all of His creations, from the Star of Bethlehem, to the angel proclaiming Christ’s birth, to the Son of God Himself—the light of the world.

Through this light, He illuminates darkness, gives us guidance, and shows us how to love one another.


Experience the rich artwork and inspirational messages of A Christmas Story of Light this holiday season and let God’s light bring you the brightness of hope.





As a mother, genealogist, artist, and faithful follower of Jesus Christ, Ora blends her understanding and unique skills to create faith-inspired stories that she hopes will give others an added testimony of God’s goodness.




Q&A With the Author:


What inspired this Christmas/Winter book?
I wanted to write a Christmas story for my grandchildren, to let them know my beliefs and also my hope that they will always be kind to those they meet. I’ve always been fascinated with the scriptures in the Bible that tell about the light of Christ being both physical and spiritual, so I decided to tell the traditional Christmas story of Christ’s birth by explaining it all in the aspect of “light” since Christ is the Light of the World. If this light is truly understood, then we realize we are sharing His light by loving others.

Do you have other Holiday books? If so, what Holiday? If not, what other books do you write?
I don’t have any other holiday’s books, but working on an Easter idea for another children’s picture book. My grandson has asked me to write another, and I asked him what he would like it to be about. He’s thinking.  So, there’s that. His mother feels there aren’t enough children’s books for young boys that aren’t related to action heroes or toys. We are putting our heads together to see what we can come up with.
I also write historical novels about my ancestors’ stories. I’m just finishing the third and hope to get it published in 2020.

What is your largest unfulfilled dream, and what are you doing to reach it?
Getting a historical novel published. The one I’m about done with needs to go through the process of beta readers, editing, and revisions, but it’s a great book about John Lothropp, a man who lived in 17th Century England at a time when churchgoers were fined, imprisoned, or tortured if they didn’t attend the Church of England. He fought against the system and was imprisoned. It’s also a love story and his wife is a point of view character in the book. Lothropp came to America soon after the Pilgrims and five US presidents descend from him, plus Princess Diana, and a bunch of other famous people. He’s like a founding father most people have never heard of. Writing the story has been a joy and also one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. I know it will be worth it in the end!

Tell us about things you enjoy — what you do for fun or personal satisfaction besides writing?
I’m an artist, but when I write, it’s hard to find the time to paint. I work mostly with oils, and have a goal to learn watercolor for my next children’s book. I’m a genealogist and love all things that have to do with finding out more about my ancestors. I have a blog, Writing About Ancestors. I love to spend time with my grandchildren, but they live in different states than I, so I travel a lot, which is also a love—travel. I went to England in March to research my Lothropp book, and hope to go back soon. The UK and Ireland are my favorite places. Although any city with good art museums and galleries is where I want to be. I’ve traveled to 48 of our 50 states and have Alaska and Maine on my bucket list. I took a 10-day art workshop in Ireland, and it was the best way to see the country because we went to the most picturesque places to paint, even the Aran Islands.

Are your characters/stories/scenes, etc. based on anything in real life?
Yes, everything I’ve written, both children’s book and novels are based on true stories. I try my hardest to get every ounce of truth I know about my characters and the times he/she lived, and use that in the story. I wrote a Civil War drama about my third great-grandparents in North Carolina that is almost all real, other than the thoughts and conversations of the characters. It’s been harder to find information about 17th Century England, but everything I know for fact is in the story.

Tell us one Christmas or Winter tradition that you love to do every year, and why it is so special to you.
For about thirty years, my husband, children and I have Christmas caroled at retirement homes every Christmas Eve. It’s harder now that most of the children live in different places, but they come for Christmas often. We have always done it with friends, too, so their voices can be joined with ours. It’s amazing and sad how many of the elderly are left alone at Christmas time.
Merry Christmas everyone! If you want to feel the Light of Christ, try reading my book A Christmas Story of Light. I wrote it for ages 5-8, but many adults have told me they love it too.




To view our blog schedule and follow along with this tour visit our Official Event page Part 1 
  Official Event page Part 2 









No comments:

Post a Comment