After Dad and Toran left, Uncle Jake offered the rest of them
Popsicles and suggested a game of Go Fish. Mysti happily
agreed. It didn’t take long to figure out she was good at remembering
who asked for which card and knew who to ask for their matches
when it was her turn.
Uncle Jake didn’t seem to mind losing to her, in fact he seemed
quite happy and proud that she beat him fair and square. Ginnie
giggled, remembering the look on her uncle’s face last night when
Mysti announced that she hated bacon.
After Mysti won the second game of Go Fish—without help—
Uncle Jake beamed his approval.
Top Ten List
1) Heart of the Wests (Ginnie's home) is a real place in Ohio.
2) The blonde girl on the cover (Gracie--who is modeling for Ginnie) lives in the real West Farmhouse.
3) The brunette girl on the cover (Jessie--who is modeling for Tillie)--is Gracie's cousin in real life.
4) Gracie and Jessie's cousins grew up on a different farm I mention in the books: Chandler's Crossing--Toran and Ginnie's friend, Austin's home.
5) There are real goats, chickens, cattle, dogs, cats, turkeys, ducks on the real West farm--but NO horses.
6) Queenie West's (Ginnie's mom) personality is based on Gracie and Jessie's grandmother. Gracie looks very much like her--just as Ginnie looks like her mom.
7) I spent a lot of time at the "real Wests" farm--as a teenager--babysitting the kids that lived there--especially Gracie and Jessie's dads--and their aunt.
8) Gracie and Jessie's cousins grew up on a different farm I mention in the books: Chandler's Crossing--Toran and Ginnie's friend, Austin's home. :)
9) Gracie and Jessie's grandpa and grandma were my 4H leaders as well as my friends.
10) I raised a lamb named Appomattox (because I was fascinated with the Civil War) on the real West farm and showed it at fair as a teen.