Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

The King's Trial By M.L. Farb- Official Book Tour & Exclusive Author Interview & Excerpt





By day Yosyph appears nothing more than a mute tavern-hand. By night he is the shadowy leader of a growing revolution.


When he learns that thousands of his people will be sent as slaves to the mines, he must choose—fight the royal army with an ill-prepared rebellion or journey to the land of his ancestors through the deadly King's Trial, where he hopes to win the help of his kin.

His journey grows complicated when he rescues a maiden and enrages a prince, but if he doesn’t return with help in time, the people he’s loved and secretly served will be gone.











As a youth, I made up stories to help my little sisters go to sleep. It backfired. We stayed up for hours continuing the tale. The King’s Trial was born in those late, whispered nights.
 
Ever since I climbed up to the rafters of our barn at age four, I've lived high adventure: scuba diving, mud football with my brothers, rappelling, and even riding a retired racehorse at full gallop—bareback. I love the thrill and joy.

Stories give me a similar thrill and joy. I love living through the eyes and heart of a hero who faces his internal demons and the heroine who fights her way free instead of waiting to be saved. I read fiction and true-story adventure. I write both, though I'm starting with publishing the fiction—fact will come later.

I create high fantasy, fairy tale retellings, and poetry. I live a joyful adventure with my husband and six children. I am a Christian and I love my Savior.


~ Facebook ~ Website ~
~ Amazon ~



Excerpt 1: 
Yosyph
I turned around to see the prince stomping down a garden path, whacking at bushes with a stick. Sun reflected off his white ringlets. Was he bleaching his hair now, or wearing a wig? He used to have wheat-yellow hair. His skin showed he spent hours outside each day, somehow turning it gold instead of ruddy or brown. His face had the round softness of luxury. It was little wonder the women compared him to a god.
"Prince Halavant," the steward called out, "Hadron, the vintner, has sent a special gift of wine for your bride."
He turned toward us, his brows furrowed and lips tight. "It won't do any good. It would have been perfect for our picnic, but she'd rather go riding without me. I imagine she's climbing our oak or skipping stones on our pond, without me!"
He was an angry, spoiled godling, not yet full grown. But at least he told me where to find her.
I turned to leave as he continued his rant.
"I'd like to thrash someone. But everyone even the least bit capable is on duty. Not one can spar. Nothing is going right today." He turned. "You, what is your name and service?"
Why did he, of all people, notice me? I motioned to my throat.
"He is mute, sire," the steward explained. "The son of the vintner."
The prince studied me closer, then nodded, "You stand with the ease of a swordsman."
I dropped to a slouch.
"Though too tall and lean to be much of a match. Still, I see no better options. You may have the privilege of sparing with your prince and future king."
I slouched to the sparring yard. Perhaps he would rethink fighting me if I looked incapable.
The prince grumbled, "Pointless, worthless day. Left to spar with a mute commoner. Could it get any worse?"
I could think of a hundred ways.
He grabbed one of the dull metal practice swords and tossed another toward me. I leaped to the side, letting it clatter to the ground. I fumbled as I picked it up.
"He has no more skill than a practice dummy. I could take off his head."
I rethought my strategy. He stood shorter than me, but heavier built and held himself with the balance of a dancer. I shifted my weight to my toes and gripped the sword, point down. Defend myself or not? Run? Wait. Watch. Three long breaths.
He sneered, then lunged, driving his sword toward my chest.
I threw myself to the side, barely keeping to my feet. The prince's sword slid by my arm as he stumbled past.
I turned to face him. He roared and swung his sword downward. Metal screamed as I tried to deflect the blow. It was like trying to stop a falling cask with a metal rod. I pushed myself off the weight of the swords and spun aside with a slight stumble. It was getting harder to pretend clumsiness while avoiding blows.
He was like a bear. If I wasn't careful, he'd break my arm or crack my skull. I ducked to avoid the latter.
"Stop dodging and fight, coward!" He whirled around with another crushing swing.
I didn't like taking orders from him, but fighting instead of dodging seemed sound advice if I didn't want to be crippled. So much for my half-wit mask. I leaned away from his swing while flicking my sword under his blow, striking him lightly across the ribs.
His Royal Rageness drew back and blinked. Had I injured his pride? I could end up in prison for scratching his pampered flesh. I tensed my legs, ready to dash through the open porter's gate.
"Unexpected." He adjusted his sword grip from a fist to a fencer’s hold. He rose to his toes. A hint of a smile creased his green eyes. 


Author Interview
1. What is your favorite color?

I don’t have one. I like to wear blues, oranges, and lime greens. Yellow roses are stunning. My husband has the most gorgeous brown eyes. And...shall I continue? As you can see, no favorite color.


2. Favorite holiday?

Thanksgiving. I love how it helps focus on gratitude and it is a wonderful lead in to the Christmas Spirit of service and love.


3. Most embarrassing moment?

Sorry, I’m not going to give my most embarrassing moment. But here’s an interesting one.

One day, when I was about four or five, my aunt asked me to walk across the room. I ran. She laughed and said, “that’s running, but can you walk?” I skipped, then spun, then hopped, and finally, on the tenth try and with concentrated effort, placed one foot in front of the other and walked across the room.


4. Dream vacation?

Japan. I love the Japanese culture and especially their gardens. I’d spend whole days in Japanese gardens, just soaking in the peace and beauty of them. Then climb Mt Fuji. I’d love to cycle around the countryside, past the rice paddies, through the forests, and to the ancient temples. When our children are all grown up I’d love to spend a month or more in Japan with my husband.



5. Something unique about you?

I took calculus at a community college at age 14. I planned to go to MIT and become an astronaut. Plans changed—in wonderful ways.


6. What one food will you NOT eat?

Mud baked eggs. My friend from Thailand offered me one, and I couldn’t even handle the smell, let alone the rubbery texture.


7. All-time favorite book?

The Hiding Place, by Corrie ten Boom



8. Writing snack of choice?

Peanuts, almonds, or other nuts.


9. Top hobby you do when not writing?

Reading to my children, using all the character voices. Right now we are reading Dealing with Dragons, by Patricia Wrede. Or “geeking out” with my husband—talking about fun, random happenings and deep, philosophical ideas.


10. Favorite Animal?

Horse. In a perfect world I’d ride one every day.






To view our blog schedule and follow along with this tour visit our Official Event page 









1 comment:

  1. Thank you for featuring The King's Trial on your blog.

    ReplyDelete