Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Monday, October 4, 2010

My Review of "Defensive Tactics" by Steve Westover

Paul Stephens has it all—a wonderful job at the FBI, a potential new girlfriend, Emily, and a great apartment. Even when Jimmy, a friend from his past, unexpectedly ends up on his couch, Paul manages to keep it together, despite Jimmy’s eccentric ways and sudden interest in Emily. But when a plan to arrest a corrupt judge puts Emily’s life in danger, Paul
is forced to make decisions that put everything on the line. And with Jimmy along for the ride, anything can happen as they race to save Emily.


My initial impression, as I was reading the first chapters of the book was, there is no way this is Steve's first book! It truly felt like a seasoned writer had created this story. Everything from the fantastic and varied characters, to the story line that rocked and never stopped moving. I was very surprised when I read Steve's Bio and he said, " I was curious if I could write a book so I thought I'd give it a shot as an experiment." That really made me giggle. You will see, as you read "Defensive Tactics", that Steve is a natural born storyteller.

Though this thriller is mainly centered around FBI Agents, the mafia and a corrupt slimy judge (Thank you Rebecca Talley, for stating it like that in your review of the book) there is so much more. This book is about three friends who end up in a love triangle and in the end helping each other to survive. Paul is the stalwart man who is always there for everyone. Jimmy is the "loser" friend, grieving about his past and trying to find his way again. Emily is the woman, stuck in between the two men, trying to decide where her feelings really reside.

Speaking of Emily, I really loved this character. It is no secret that I love strong and courageous women characters. There has been too many females, written into stories, that swoon and are waiting to be saved. Emily most certainly does not fit into that category. You would describe Emily as gusty, intelligent and also very kind and caring. She gives her all in helping Jimmy find redemption. So many of us need an Emily in our lives. Someone that believes in us and doesn't give up.

All of you mystery/suspense/action lovers, do not despair. There is plenty of all three things, including a heavy dose of " holding your breath until the very end" moments.

This book has something for everyone, male and female of all ages. This is a juggernaut of excitement, full of high- speed suspense and an ending resolution that touches the heart.

To learn more about Steve and his writing, visit him at his website here.
You can also visit him at his blog here.






About Steve (In his own Words)
My wife and I have lived in small town, rural Missouri for 12 years and have 4 entertaining and wonderful children, but I never expected to be living on a farm with chickens, cows, kittens and a dog. I don't particularly enjoy animals, but I do appreciate them for their utility... and the kids love 'em.

I'm a banker by trade, but my life revolves around spending time with my family and serving in our church. Being a father and a husband are the most important things I can concentrate my time on and I enjoy it.

I have always enjoyed writing, but I had never even considered writing a novel until one morning I woke up with the idea for some characters in my mind. I was curious if I could write a book so I thought I'd give it a shot as an experiment.

After a long process of writing, nearly giving up mid-way through, editing, shopping for a publisher, changing the title and editing some more, my first book, Defensive Tactics, is being published through Cedar Fort on the Bonneville Books imprint, and will be in stores in August 2010.

My second book, Crater Lake: Battle for Wizard Island is a youth/fantasy book written with my oldest daughter and son in mind. They are avid readers who turned me on to books like Fablehaven and Percy Jackson and the Olympians, which I really enjoy. So, as a father trying to please his children, I wrote Crater Lake for them.

I hope to have Crater Lake out in early 2011.


I was kindly given a review copy of this book. In no way did this change or determine the review that was given.


2 comments:

  1. Sheila,

    Thank you for your kind review. I appreciate you taking the time.I'm happy you enjoyed it.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for your fantasy book! You are a great writer.

    ReplyDelete