Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Why I Am Glad That I Gave "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" a 2nd Chance


I picked this book up in 2009.My Mom had read it with her book club. My Mom and I have the same likes in reading material, so I figured I would love it as much as she had. The first time I tried to read this book I would read only a few pages each day. This did not work with this book. I could not keep any of the characters straight or what was happening. I recently tried reading the book again. This time, I dedicated over one hour for a first time reading of the book. I was able to distinguish characters and where things were taking place. By about page 50, I was fully immersed in the story.I loved this book. I really did not want it to end.

This book was rich with colorful characters and I loved the fact this whole story is told through letters. It is nice to read a story that is different from the norm. I also really liked the main character Juliet. It was very satisfying to see the growth take place in Juliet. She truly learned how to open her heart to others. You could see this by how happy she was at the end of the book. I also grew to love the caring and kind people that lived in Guernsey.

So, if you have not yet read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society", then it is about time that you did.

5 comments:

  1. I agree--you have to read far enough into the book to see how the people relate to each other. And then it is so enjoyable that you don't want to put it down.
    My thought about this book: It was the most entertained I've ever been with that subject matter. Who knew entertaining could be a word used with that topic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true about the entertainment value. I LOL at many things that happened in this story. You don't usually find a reason to laugh when reading about the Germans invading during WW2. But I loved how spunky Juliet and Elizabeth were. Women I could relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good to know. I've been meaning to pick it up all year long and haven't. Though I'm glad to know it's a book where you have to read it big chunks at a time or I may have had the same problem

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not get into this book when I tried. Maybe I should give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie and Valerie, I hope that you will both give this book a try. Reading for a good hour at the beginning was the key for me. Once you get past the first quarter of the book, it is hard to put down. Let me know what you think if you read it.

    ReplyDelete