Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Nando: Best Friends Dog Tales #4 by McCall Hoyle-Middle Grade Fiction Review


 Book Synopsis

Perfect for fans of Because of Winn-Dixie and Homeward Bound—a moving adventure full of courage, resilience, and the unbreakable bond between dogs and their humans.

Nando may have started life as the runt of the litter, but he’s grown into a loyal, hardworking border collie that takes his job—and his family—seriously. He believes that the only way to keep his place on the farm and in the heart of his human, Esperanza, is to maintain perfection in all his responsibilities—and nothing less.

But when a tropical storm turns the creek by the farm into a raging river and scatters Cloe, Nando's favorite young human; Stella, a friendly beagle; Oscar, the farm's annoying cat; and Nando himself, Nando learns the hard truth: He can’t control everything.

Stranded far from home, Nando is rescued by Levi, a boy with a brave heart and a gift for seeing good in others, who was also displaced by the storm. Nando and Levi are both trying to get back home, but when Levi leashes Nando, he leaves the independent herding dog with little choice but to stick with him. As they face rising waters, dangerous terrain, and the uncertainty of finding their way back, Levi offers Nando courage, friendship, and love, teaching Nando that he doesn’t have to be perfect to be loved and accepted.

Book Details

  • Publisher: ‎ Shadow Mountain
  • Publication date: ‎ August 4, 2026
  • Genre: Middle Grade Fiction
  • Series: Best Friends Dog Tales #4
  • Language: ‎ English
  • Print length: ‎ 176 pages
  • ****I received a complimentary book from publishers, publicists, NetGalley, book tours, and/or authors.  A review was not required and all opinions and ideas expressed are my own.****






My Review

Having read all of the previous books in the "Best Friends Dog Tales" series, I knew what awaited me. My favorite thing about this series is that the stories are told from the dog's point of view. I love animals, so this series has a special place in my heart, and I had incredibly high expectations for this new book. Let me tell you, all expectations were met and exceeded! Nando is a dog I already knew from the previous books, and it was delightful to "hear" his story. He is Esperanza's serious and focused sheepdog. I loved getting to see another side of Nando alongside his familiar, responsible nature.
When a tropical storm hits, all of the people and animals on the nearby farms are affected. There were so many heart-stopping moments that had me close to tears. In fact, I was in tears near the end, unsure of the outcome for some of our beloved furry friends.
As a teacher, I absolutely loved the discussion questions at the end of the book. The author guides readers through:
  • Identifying themes and deciding what the most important lesson is.
  • Understanding what an epigraph is and how it is used.
  • Making connections to the characters and analyzing how they change throughout the book.
  • Discussing the various settings featured in the story.
  • Predicting answers to any remaining unanswered questions.
  • Imagining you are the author and outlining a sequel to Nando's story.
  • Making connections between Nando and other familiar books or movies.
As I read each educational point, I was already formulating how I would use them with my own class once I read Nando aloud to them. Parents can also use these questions to spark great conversations with their children. Though each book in this series can be read as a standalone, I highly suggest reading them in publication order for the full emotional impact. (Book 1 "Stella" will always be incredibly special to me.Nando is a book full of hope, change, and growth. It's another well-deserved 5 stars for a McCall Hoyle book!


****Meet Author McCall Hoyle****


{In Her Own Words}

In a nutshell: 

I’m a sixth-grade teacher, mom, and author who loves reading and dogs!


My hopeful, heart-warming middle grade books, Stella, Just Gus, Millie, and Forever Ripley are part of Shadow Mountain Publishing’s empathy-building line of books. They’re available everywhere books are sold. 

You can find my young adult novels. The Thing with Feathers and Meet the Sky, anywhere books are sold. 


A Little More Detailed: 

When I’m not reading or writing, I’m probably spending time with my family and our dogs, Apple and Edith. I would love to be a professional dog trainer when I grow up. 

I come from a long line of strong women. I’m named for my grandmother, “Pinkie,” who was the first female editor of an Associated Press newspaper. Her sister, my great-aunt, was a physics professor at Auburn University. They were women ahead of their times, which I think is pretty cool. My husband, daughter, son-in-law, and I are all middle and high school teachers. Education literally runs in the family. I secretly, although not-so-secretly since I’m sharing it here, hope my sixteen-year-old son will be a teacher someday too. School and library visits bring me great joy as does meeting readers in person! So I invite you to reach out to me on the Contact Me page, here on mccallhoyle.com. Maybe our paths will cross in person someday. 


~*~*~*~*Purchase Nando ~*~*~*~*

HERE:

Hard Copy-https://a.co/d/02rbd3oS

Kindle-https://a.co/d/0cSBeypp

No comments:

Post a Comment