Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater

Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception (Books of Faerie, #1)Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception by Maggie Stiefvater

My rating:
4 of 5 stars


It is always hard when deciding to give a book a 3 or 4 star rating. After looking at all of the individual factors, it comes down to this for me, what was the over all feeling about this book. I liked Lament. I liked the characters, Dee, Luke and James. When there is a strong, female lead who is scared, but rises to the occasion to save people she loves...she has my vote. Deirdre is not passive, but sticks to what she knows must be done. I like a teen female being portrayed this way.


I also really liked the way the Fey were portrayed in this novel. I liked the authentic depiction of Celtic Faerie Lore. This to me was very refreshing. It is also great how many of the Fey characters in this story are good and bad. You will have to read the book to see what I mean. Trying to figure out if they are more good than bad is half of the fun.

One drawback in this book for me was the unnecessary swearing, including the f-bomb. I don't think it was needed in a teen book. There is also the teen "sex" talk about how attracted they are to each other and want things to go further. This is why I do recommend this book for older teens 16+ and adults. The teens in this story are mature and don't have that teeny-bopper feel, so adults will enjoy this book.


I want to read the sequel to Lament, Ballad, to answer some questions about the ending. I have heard from other friends though, that they weren't able to get through the sequel because of various reasons. I am going to give it a try just to see what happens next in the story. I like Maggie Stiefvater's writing. I have enjoyed her books Shiver and Linger. I will let you know what I think of the sequel Ballad.







View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Ooh... I've heard good things about this book. I'll have to check it out. Thank you, for the honest and thoughtful review!

    PS scared and strong heroines rock!
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete