Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Thursday, September 17, 2009

"The Sister Pact" by Cami Checketts...my review


I always love to read a book by a new, recently found author. It is like trying a new food at a restaurant. There is some excitement and hopefulness that it will be something that you will really like. I have to say, I struck gold with this new romantic,mystery-suspense novel.

Here is a little blurb from the back of the book:

Savannah Compton is devastated when her sister and best friend, Allison, falls into a coma after a tragic accident. Or was it an accident? Even with a charming and handsome detective at her side, it seems Savannah may never discover the truth. But if she doesn’t her family could be in even more danger. And Savannah’s past holds its own secrets that could change everything.

Now she must prove her innocence to the one person who is beginning to matter most. Join Savannah as she struggles to summon faith and rely on hope, even in the darkest of circumstances, and learn how the bond between sisters can overcome anything.

This book has a great mix of Romance and mystery. Even though you know who did it...the angst comes in seeing how Savannah is able to prove her innocence. This was a quick read for me. I did not want to put it down until everything was resolved.


Cami has written a story showing great love between sisters, who would do anything to help the other. It also is a love story about two people that have been hurt greatly in the past in other relationships. The romance takes awhile to unfold. It stems back to both of them learning to trust again and being willing to open their hearts up to someone else. There were times I wanted to smack Noah and tell him to "wake up and go with your feelings". You can see, I became very involved in this book and the outcome.


This novel is for fans of a good romance, with twists and turns full of suspense. I was impressed with Cami's writing and want to read more books from her in the future.


Here is my interview with Cami about her writing.

-When did you decide to become a writer?

After I had my second son I was suffering from Postpartum Depression. I slept a lot. My mother woke me up from a nap one day and said, "You need a hobby, you need to write a book." I shrugged and said, "Okay." I started writing that afternoon and haven't had time for a nap since!

-Where did you formulate the idea for "The Sister Pact"?

I had a nightmare about a man accosting my sister and as she tried to escape she fell down a flight of stairs. I adore my sister. The thought of her being hurt tore at me. I had to write about it.

-I noticed that some of the proceeds of "The Sister Pact" are being donated to a good cause. Would you please share with my readers what organization you are supporting and why?

The Child and Family Support Center is an amazing organization. Their motto is, "Strengthening families and protecting children." The women who run the organization are so strong and charitable. Most of their work is heart-breaking as they are an intervention nursery for abused children. When you see precious children hurting you want to do what you can to help. I contacted the director and told her I wanted to contribute a portion of the proceeds from my newest book. She cried. I had no idea that they are facing the worst budget crises in their history right now.
To donate please visit - http://www.cachecfsc.org/

-What project are you working on next?

A murder mystery set in a retirement home. The people are hilarious, but the story is breaking my heart.

-What is your ultimate dream book that you hope to write someday?

I'd love to write a daybook for mothers with inspirational thoughts, fitness and health tips, recipes, parenting tips, etc. Accompanying the book would be a journal of sorts where mothers could record what they've accomplished. As a mom you sometimes wonder if you've done anything besides sprint from one mess to the next!
Right now I'm plenty busy with boys and fiction writing. Maybe someday when I've got some worthwhile advice I'll start the book.

-What is your best advice for up and coming writers?

Avoid time-wasters. If you want to write you need to actually get words down on your WIP. I find myself wasting so much time online with
yahoo groups, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Most writers I know are involved in a lot of these things for marketing's sake. I think that's fine, but all the marketing in the world isn't going to sell your book if the book isn't well-done. Get writing that fabulous book, then worry about the marketing.


If you would like to learn more about Cami, here are the links to
her blogs and website. They are well worth checking out.

www.camichecketts.com
http://camicheckettsbooks.blogspot.com
http://fitnessformom.blogspot.com


****Please remember, if you have not entered the contest to win a copy of "Illuminations of the Heart" by Joyce DiPastena, you have until Monday, September 21st. Check the post down below to see how to enter. You can have three different entries by doing 3 simple things. I hope to see more of you taking the opportunity to try and win this great new historical romance.

10 comments:

  1. Great interview Sheila and Cami! looks like a good read and I really need to take your writer-time-waster advice. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited to read this one, thanks for the great review and interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great interview. Cami is such a great lady and such a talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the review and interview. Thanks! Sounds like a great book and I'm glad to know Cami a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sheila for the wonderful review and thanks Valerie, Josi, Michele, and Rebecca for your comments. I need to take my own advice Valerie! It's like telling someone to be patient with their children. Easily said, extremely hard to accomplish!

    Warmest wishes,
    Cami

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila - Sister Pact sounds like a great book! I'm definitely putting it down on my to-purchase list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got this book! Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, I loved the writing advice. I can always use a boost.
    Your dream about your sister struck home, too. The scariest dreams are ones where your family gets hurt. It's great you did something positive with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Shirley. Now if I can just follow my own advice!
    I hope you enjoy the book Heather and Danyelle.
    Warmest,
    Cami

    ReplyDelete