Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Sunday, March 1, 2009

So Little Time and SO Much to Read!




I am up to my neck in report cards and getting things ready for parent-teacher conferences this week. You have to realize how excruciatingly painful this is for me, while all I want to be doing currently is reading. The finalists for the Whitney Awards were announced recently, giving me a boatload of books I need to read before I send in my final votes for the awards. What I have read so far, it is going to be very difficult when I go to place my final votes. There are so many outstanding books that are finalists this year. My advice to you is head over to the Whitney Awards website(http://www.whitneyawards.com/) and make a list of books for your reading list. There are many categories, so I know that all of you will be able to find something there that you would like.

I just recently finished a book called, "Taking Chances" by Shannon Guymon, which is a finalist in the Romance Category. This is not your typical LDS romance, it is a a story of finding love, learning to forgive, and of course, letting your guard down and taking a chance on love. I was immediately drawn to the characters in the story, not only because of their engaging personalities, but because of the thought provoking back storyline involving sexual abuse. It was presented in a way that really touches your heart and helps you have such compassion for anyone that has ever endured this trial in their life.






Another story I am reading is called, "Do No Harm" by Gregg Luke. This book is one of the finalist in the Best Mystery Suspense category. How badly did I want to read this book today? Well it accidently traveled to church with me and hopped out onto my lap in between Sunday School and Relief Society. I hate when this happens, I have no control over the books. I didn't get much read because of people wanting to talk to me about what I was reading. I knew I should have run away to an empty classroom somewhere. Just kidding! Just a little "book-aholic" humor there! Seriously though, if you have ever read any medical thrillers before, this is right up your alley. The suspense keeps building and building to the point you don't want to put the book down...all except for those pesky report cards staring at me waiting to be finished. **sigh** Gregg Luke has written a very exciting book that I just can't wait to finish.

There are many more books that I need to read before I vote, but what a pleasure to read such fantastic work that is out there by LDS authors. Again, go take a look at the finalists and either go to your library or nearest book store to start reading some outstanding books.

3 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of reading them all right now too! Two full-time jobs, finishing a business plan and trying to read all the Whitney Award finalists is keeping me VERY busy! See you in April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,

    Would you pop me an e-mail at tristi@tristipinkston.com?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm waiting for Taking Chances from the Library, but I read Do No Harm and was quite impressed with it--it's exciting to me to see different types of writing and storylines enter the LDS market which has long been accused of rewriting the same book over and over again. The Whitney finalists this year prove that is certainly not the case.

    ReplyDelete