Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Monday, February 19, 2018

A Court of Thorns and Roses By Sarah J. Mass: Book review

A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Book Description:
Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.


My Review:
I've heard others talk about this book and series for several years. I needed to read something different from what was normal for me, and I decided to read this. I haven't read any other books by Sarah Maas even though they all are on my to-read list.

I've read many books about the Fae and I found that many were following the same pattern. A Court of Thorns and Roses felt different from the others. I liked the world that Maas wrote. I liked this new world of Fae and the problems they were facing.

As far as the main character, Feyre, she was amazing! She had her problems, but was no Mary Sue. She was tough because she had no other choice and was fiercely loyal to who and what she loved, even though some people didn't deserve that loyalty. She took risks, but I didn't feel that they were always
stupid like some women in novels. I couldn't help but like Feyre from the start. Even with the slow start in this 1st book, it picks up quickly in the middle and has an exciting 2nd half of the book.

As far as the men in this book, I liked the character of Lucien better than Tamlin who's High Lord of the Spring Court, Feyre's lover and boyfriend. Lucien was Tamlin's best friend and I really liked his wit and tenacity. I felt he brought out better things in Feyre than Tamlin did, but this is not a book where there is a love triangle. I also was intrigued by the High Lord of the Night Court, Rhysand. There is something more with this character that I know will come out in the 2nd book.

I did want to say that this is NOT a YA book, but a New Adult book. I was surprised by a few explicit sexual scenes with her and Tamlin. I wouldn't recommend this book to most teens, especially younger than 17 or 18. There are also many scenes depicting violence, but this book does show a war in the lands of The Fae.

Overall, I really liked this novel and the new world that I want to keep exploring in the other books in this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment