Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Review of "33 Habits of a Really Good Man" By Yvonne Swinson



I just finished reading a great non-fiction book called "33 Habits of a Really Good Man" by Yvonne Swinson. This book would make a great Fathers day gift for a husband, father or grandfather. I also feel like the wisdom shared in this book is for males and females.

Yvonne wrote this book to honor her late father, Bills Wells. You can tell there was a lot of love put into the book. Here is the blurb found on the back of the book...

Bill Wells wasn't a famous man, but he left an invaluable legacy for those who knew him. He lived his life by a few simple words of wisdom, recorded in a little black notebook, and taught his children to do the same. Now, with this collection of mini-memoirs, his daughter Yvonne Swinson shares his legacy with you. 33 Habits of a Really Good Man includes Bill's favorite memories and experiences and shares ideas on how these habits can lead to a “really good” life. Available just in time for Father's Day, 33 Habits of a Really Good Man is the perfect way to show your appreciation for the most important men in your life.

The 33 habits that are listed in this book are wonderful, but simple things that will make our lives happier. Each mini-memoir includes one of Bill's favorite bits of wisdom and how making it a habit can lead to a "really good" life.

-Dream Big
-Laugh Often
-Know Where You're Going
-Don't Worry
-Change Begins with Me
-Speak Softly
-Optimism
-Learn to Work
-Choose to be Happy
-Lose the Stubborn Streak
-Stretch Your Mind
-Seek Truth
-Make It a Habit

You can get a taste of what great things can be found in this book. I tried to pick which one was my favorite and would help me the most. I knew I couldn't blog about the whole book so I finally chose habits #21 Don't Worry and #22 Optimism.

#21 Don't Worry: There is a quote on this page that says,"Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere."-Van Wilder. This chapter starts like this...

"Why waste time worrying? This went hand in hand with his (Bill Wells) continual optimism. I suppose he worried sometimes, but it was never evident to us. My father's approach was very practical: envision the worst case scenario, decide how you would handle it, and then move on. "

I am a constant worry-wart, so the advice here is good for me. Worry can not rule a person's life because like the quote said, it will not get you anywhere.

#22 The quote on this page says, "Every cloud has a silver lining, if we provide the sunshine."-unknown This chapter started with this...

"Along with preparing for the worst came expecting the best. My father always did. I have known of few people in my life who could match my father's optimism. He simply refused to take a gloomy view. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I heard "Well on the bright side..."

Yvonne goes on to say how with this optimism it may have contributed to her father's lack of preparation for the inevitable when he became seriously ill. He didn't show how bad he was feeling because he refused to wear it on his face. This chapter not only made me cry a little but also made me respect Bill Wells for his strength and courage.

"33 Habits of a Really Good Man" is a short book, only 79 pages long; but it is huge in the value you will receive from reading this book and applying the principles in your life. I can tell what a wonderful man he was. He reminds me a lot of my own father, Rolla Windley. He was not well schooled, but was strong in the wisdom and advice he has always shared with his children and grandchildren. I think that I will be buying a little notebook for him to write down his favorite sayings and words of wisdom.

Thank you Yvonne for sharing your father with us. I know the 33 habits your father lived by will bring hope and happiness to all who read your book.



Biography

Yvonne Swinson and her father, Bill Wells.

Yvonne Swinson was born in North Carolina and spent the rest of her childhood moving around the southeastern states. She was an avid reader from a young age and has read many thousands of books. One of her childhood dreams was to someday write her own. She now resides in sunny Southern Utah with her husband and five children (soon to be six). Her other interests include hiking, gymnastics and homeschooling.




You can find this book at


If you would like to learn more about Yvonne and other books that she has written you can go to her blog or her website.

Review Disclaimer: Sometimes a book I review has been sent to me for free by a publisher or an author. This in no way effects my review, which is my own opinion about whether the book was a good read for me, fit my tastes, and if I would recommend it to others. Other than possibly a free book, I am not compensated in any way for posting a review. (This is borrowed from my friend Danyelle Ferguson's book review site "Queen of the Clan" because she is so much more eloquent than I am.)



1 comment:

  1. I loved this little book. I think I've bought about 8 copies now and given them as gifts- - to my son and sons in law, as well as to a few friends. It is a great book with much wisdom.

    ReplyDelete