Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Friday, February 19, 2010

American Girl Books: The Feelings Book and The Care & Keeping of You



Since I have been figuring grades, doing report cards and Parent Teacher Conferences, my reading has been at a minimum. I am in the middle of reading six different books that are Whitney nominated books. So, I really did not have a finished book to review. Instead, I wanted to share with you a series of books that help Tween Girls between the ages of 9-12. The books are from the American Girl company. I love their motto:

" American Girl celebrates a girl's inner star-that little whisper inside that encourages her to stand tall, reach high, and dream big. We take pride and care in helping girls become their very best today, so they'll grow up to be the women who make a difference tomorrow."

The other day me and my daughter had a disagreement and I lost my cool and yelled at her. About 2o minutes later, she came downstairs with her "The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions" in her hands. She had turned to the chapter about anger and a section called, "Keeping Your Cool" and said, "Mom I think that you need to read this." Here is what the book said, "It might help me stay calm if you would___________ (not point your finger, stop and listen to what I'm saying, ask how I am feeling) I have to say I was very impressed! She had found a way to explain how she was feeling and what she would like me to do. This is why I love this book!

Some of the great chapters included in this book are

-The Brain, the Body & Butterflies: In this chapter it discusses Brain Power, Why You Cry, Feeling out of Control and Holding it All In.

-How Do You Really Feel? : This chapter talks about What's Your Reaction, Sorting it Out and Talking it Out.

-The Voice Inside: This chapter includes Thinking Smart, Learning Who You Can Trust and Clearing away the Clouds.

-Help!: This chapter is the best. It includes, I'm Scared, I Feel Anxious, I'm So Jealous, I'm Angry, I'm Lonely, I'm Really Sad, I've Been Disrespected, I'm Grieving and I Don't Feel Safe.

-Feeling Positive: This includes The Good Stuff, Look Around and Keep it Up.

This book has colorful illustrations, small chapters and sub-chapters and is an easy to read format. You can pick the book up and open to any section and find what you are looking for without having to read it straight through. This book is so valuable in that it helps girls understand their emotions and handle them in a positive way. I learned also it is a good tool for parents to learn from our kids and how to help them.

The other book I bought my daughter was ,"The Care and Keeping of You: The Body Book forGirls." This “head-to-toe” guide answers all a girl's questions about her changing body, from hair care to healthy eating, bad breath to bras, periods to pimples, and everything in between. " It makes talking about the facts of life an easy job for parents.



My daughter has been reading this book a lot the past two years. She has been up to date on all of the changes her body has been making. She comes to me often to discuss things and ask questions. We have had some wonderful talks together.

This series also includes the "Care and Keeping of YOU Journal" This journal is a sensitive, interactive companion to The Care & Keeping of You. It includes a period tracker and mood recorder, plus tips, quizzes, and checklists to help girls keep in touch with their changing bodies.
There is also , "The Feelings Journal" that girls can write in.

If you go to their website you will see many other books that could help your daughters/granddaughters. Todays world is a much harder place to grow up in than what we had to deal with. I feel any good resource, such as these books, are beneficial in assisting parents as they raise their children. There are also many books out there that help your boys learn about their changing bodies. Head to Amazon.com to see what books are available.
Good luck with any "tweens" in your life.

4 comments:

  1. The only thing I don't like about the care and keeping of you body book is that my daughter uses it as an excuse to go against what I say and not use a hair dryer after she bathes, "because the book says it damages your hair". So now she feels justified in going to bed with wet hair. We all know what hair looks like in the morning when you go to bed with it wet. Her hair looks like that every day. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me laugh! I forgot that was in there. That must be why my daughter does the same thing! LOL! "WE must follow the almighty book!" Sorry. How old is your daughter? Mine will be 12 in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great book! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete