Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Review of "Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins


I loved the book "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. I gave it 5 stars and could not put it down. It is now on my top 10 list of books that I love. So I was so excited get my hands on the sequel, "Catching Fire".I had heard so many varied responses to "Catching Fire"; all the way from, "Wow it was so good!" to "I can't believe it ended that way!". I knew ahead of time that the end was really going to leave you hanging. Well I am here to say, yes, it does leave you hanging... way out over the edge, screaming and desperately trying to hang on.

I really like this book, I gave it 4 stars, but I did not like it as much as "The Hunger Games". Much of "Catching Fire" does not have a lot happening, where the first book has action throughout most of the book. I was a little frustrated at this aspect of the story. I realize, that many middle books of a trilogy have transition filler to get you ready for the third book. "Catching Fire" does have many surprises for the reader, but they show up in the last 1/3 of the book. I still truly love the main female character, Katniss, and her determination to protect her loved ones. The character development was good in this second book. I felt like I grew to know and care more about Katniss, Peeta and Haymitch.

Overall, this is a very good read. There may be many of us out there that like the first book, "The Hunger Games", better. I am looking forward to the third book, hoping it will ease the pains of the killer cliffhanger Suzanne left for her readers.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, many thanks for sharing! I've actually been on the prowl for good reads, so I found this at just the right time.

    I hadn't heard of Suzanne Collins until now, but I'm going to look for "The Hunger Games" first...and then, if I like it, I'll go for "Catching Fire".

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely recommend The Hunger Games first before reading Catching Fire. I loved The Hunger Games, but not Catching Fire. I was very disappointed in it. A lot of rehashing the plot and you're right...it never really got going until the last third of the book.

    ReplyDelete