Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Thrilling Reads


I have been getting such good reading in lately. I have been enjoying reading the many books that are Whitney Award Nominees. I have also been sneaking in other books that aren't on the list.

I am in the middle of some mystery thrillers/romance novels. The first is called, Freefall, by Traci Hunter Abramson. The lowdown about this book is:"Lieutenant Brent Miller arrived in the Middle East with one objective--get seven hostages out of a hostile country. The plan almost worked. But now he has been left behind--with one of the hostages. It's up to Brent to get Amy Whitmore, a US Senator's daughter, across miles of desert to safety. What he doesn't know is that to survive, he needs her as much as she needs him."

The book is very exciting! I was pulled in from the first chapter. I love books that make me want to keep reading and feel pained if I have to put them down. I really liked the main characters Amy and Brent. Many times, characters have qualities that irk me, not so here. They felt "real" to me and how they behaved with one another. Another plus for me, is that there are characters in this book that we have seen before in previous books that Traci has written.

The next book I am reading is called, Traitor, by Sandra Grey. This book is based on one of my favorite historical time periods I enjoy reading about: WW II. "With war raging in Europe, the only way Marie can be with Felix is to join the Allied forces. However, as Marie parachutes into France to join the Résistance, she not only lands into the arms of her fiancé, but also drops into the hands of the enemy. Major Rolf Schulmann has been struggling between personal convictions and his duty to the German Fatherland. Now he must decide what to do with the captured fiancee of the man who gave him a new chance at life-a man he once loved as a brother. The Gestapo will do whatever it takes to dispose of Marie. If Rolf helps her escape he will have enemies on all sides-is it a sacrifice he is willing to make? Can Marie possibly trust her life to a man torn between two masters?

I
will admit, this book was hard to get into at first. It took several chapters for me to final get hooked. Once I was hooked, I had to keep reading. Maybe it took me that long to start caring about the characters, but it felt like watching a really thrilling movie. The history in this book seems very accurate and you can tell she did fantastic research. The emotional pull, that haunts Marie and Rolf is clearly felt. They both have their own own set of problems, but this doesn't stop them from getting involved with one another. I can't wait to see how this all ends.I told you I am reading both of these books currently and have not finished either one yet. This doesn't stop me from recommending both of these books to you.


Another book I finished a few days ago was "Fields of Home" , by Rachel Ann Nunes. This book took me on an emotional roller coaster ride.

Here is a synopsis:...:
"After fighting her way through a bitter and hurtful past, Mercedes Johnson has painstakingly carved out a life of quiet contentment on a Wyoming farm with her husband, Wayne, and their three boys. But all that changes when the birth father of her oldest child returns to Riverton. Brandon Rhodes has plans for his son, threatening the carefully balanced life Mercedes and Wayne have created. But just how far is he willing to go? Fields of Home is a novel about the deepest kind of ties and the true meaning of love."


It was hard to count how many times my heart went out to these fictional characters. The thing is, there are so many trials that many
of us have gone through in life. As we read about these trials in fiction, how do we relate them to our own experiences? How realistically does the author write these trials? Rachel does a fabulous job of making feelings come out in her readers as they read her writing. Be prepared to cry and "feel" as you read Fields of Home.

Just wanted you to know that all three of these books are nominees for a Whitney Award this year. I hope that you have gone to www.whitneyawards.com. to look at all of this years fabulous nominees. Write down those that are of interest to you and join the fun and get reading.

2 comments:

  1. I've read Freefall and Fields of Home, but I'm still waiting for Traitor to come up on my library request list. Thanks for the recomendation that it might take some time getting into it--I'm not known for my patience when it comes to reading . . . or anything else, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is worth giving it a go. I almost gave up, but being stubborn I hung in there. I am glad that I did.

    ReplyDelete