Sheila's Books Read

Sheila's bookshelf: read

The Best Intentions
Scotland's Melody
The Secret Society of Salzburg
Secret of the Sonnets
20-40-60-Minute Dinners: Meals to Match the Time You Have
Through the Wilderness: My Journey of Redemption and Healing in the American Wild
Secret Santa Claus Club: A Tool to Help Parents Unwrap the Secret of Santa
Mr. Pudgins
Revenge Never Rests
The Best Mistake
Meriden Park
More Inspirational Stories for Young Women
The Great Tree: A Christmas Fable
To Capture His Heart
The Call of the Sea
Esperance
Livvy and the Enchanted Woodland
Come, Gentle Night
The Bad Boy Theory
Guide To Smart Wedding Planning: What You want to know and everything you haven't thought of yet.


Sheila's favorite books »

2024 Goodreads Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge

2024 Reading Challenge
Sheila has read 4 books toward her goal of 100 books.
hide

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I haven't been blogging...I have been reading, a lot!


It has been a month since I have last blogged. Yes, life has been extremely crazy, but my better excuse is that I have been doing a lot of reading. I have to say it made the dreary month of January pass by quickly.

First: I read my book for the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge. After much agony over which book I would read, I finally chose a book I have been wanting to read for a very long time. I read the book, The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. I have always loved to read fiction and non-fiction accounts from the Tudor England era. I do have to admit, even though it makes fascinating reading, I would never have wanted to live at that time.

I enjoyed this book from Mary Boleyn's perspective. It was refreshing to read of her side of the story, as I have read other accounts from Anne's perspective before. Gregory is a very good writer that keeps the story interesting and moving. I know, having read other peoples review of this book, that true historians feel that the truth is stretched greatly in this version of Mary and Anne's stories. I say, get over yourself and just enjoy the story. I love history like other history fanatics, I took 40 hours of history classes when I went to college. The measure of a book to me is I had a hard time putting it down. This book went everywhere with me, to school, at home, to bed and to piano lessons. If a book is by my side and I can't put it down, then that is a good book. It is a long book and it does have frank sex talk at times; considering the subject, Mary being the mistress of King Henry the VIII, it would have been hard to avoid such additions. Would I recommend this book to others? Most definitely if you are interested in the Tudors and want a great read.

Now, my big mistake, as soon as I finished the book I wanted to watch the movie that was made from the book. I was so disappointed in the movie because it was more about Anne than Mary. If you were just watching the movie without just having read the book, it would have been very enjoyable. Who doesn't love staring at Eric Bana who played King Henry the VIII? I would not read the book and watch the movies in succession.

I am happy to say that I have already chosen and I am half way through my February challenge book. I found this book at the library with the new arrivals called, The Virgin Queen's Daughter a novel by Ella March Chase. I will give a full review when finished with the book, but to give you an indication of what I think about it? I started it yesterday, I am almost on page 200 and it is sitting right here by me waiting for me to finish writing my blog.

I was planning on telling you about all of the books that I have read this past month, but to do justice to many of them, I will blog in further detail about them at another time. I will list them though so you can see I was really reading and just not being too lazy to blog....

-Princess at the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

-The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

-Pillage by Obert Skye

-Heaven Scent by Rebecca Talley

-Freshman for President by Ally Condie

-Journey of the Heart by David Free

-The Forgotten Warrior by Kathi Oram Peterson

-The Loser's Guide to Life and Love by A.E. Cannon

-Reunion by Allyson Condie

-Alcatraz vs. The Scrivener's Bones by Brandon Sanderson

Just to note, many of these books were short, easy read books, not like the 544 pages found with the Other Boleyn Girl. More reviews will be coming about many of the books I just mentioned. So until next time, take time to read a good book and give yourself a few minutes of "you" time. It is so refreshing and good stress relief.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the detailed review--I love Tudor England and have had my eye on this book so I appreciate the feedback from it. Maybe I"ll see the movie first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would watch the movie first! Then you can sit back and enjoy the book. You know I should know by now not to compare books and their movies, but I still always seem to be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the book and thought the movie was just ok. Maybe that had something to do with what you were saying about the book being more about Mary and the movie more about Ann. I am more interested in Mary because I am desended from her on my Dad's side. Her oldest daughter. But I also have always loved Tudor history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The Other Boleyn Girl" is one of my favorite books. I love Philippa Gregory's writing, especially her Tudor books:o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sheila, great review! I loved the Other Boleyn Girl as well and then I read and loved The Queen's Fool. I don't think that the other Phillipa Gregory Tudor novels are as good as those two. I read them for last years Historical Reading Challenge.

    We have added a Mr Linky to the Blog so please go and add a link to your review so everyone can enjoy it. http://theroyalreviews.blogspot.com/2005/02/2009-historical-fiction-challenge-post.html

    Can't wait to read your next review!

    ReplyDelete